Timing of electives vary from what is listed. Please discuss when to take your electives with your advisor.
Sample Timeline for MS Thesis
|STAT 512 Statistical Inference||STAT 513 Statistical Inference||BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics||Select Thesis Advisor|
|BIOST 514 Biostatistics I||BIOST 515 Biostatistics II||Electives|
|BIOST 561 Computational Skills for Biostatistics I (recommended) 2||BIOST 562 Computational Skills for Biostatistics II (recommended) 2|
|BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics 1||BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics|
|BIOST 536 Categorical Data Analysis in Epidemiology||BIOST 537 Survival Data Analysis in Epidemiology||BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics|
|BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics||BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics||Elective|
|BIOST 590 Biostatistical Consulting (one quarter) 3|
- BIOST 514 Biostatistics I (4 credits)
- BIOST 515 Biostatistics II (4 credits)
- BIOST 536 Categorical Data Analysis in Epidemiology (4 credits)
- BIOST 537 Survival Data Analysis in Epidemiology (4 credits)
- STAT 512 Statistical Inference (4 credits)
- STAT 513 Statistical Inference (4 credits)
- BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics (6 credits total)
- BIOST 590 Biostatistical Consulting (3 credits)
- BIOST 700 Master's Thesis (18 credits total)
- Minimum 6 credits from Elective List One: Methodological Emphasis
- Minimum 6 credits from Elective List Two: Biology or Public Health Emphasis
- Elective courses may be taken S/NS. To earn the grade of "S," students must achieve a 2.7 or higher.
Course recommendations and notes
- The department recommends that students register for and attend the BIOST 580 Seminar in Biostatistics every quarter. Six quarters are required.
- In preparation for work on the thesis, students are expected to master research, presentation, and computational skills at the level covered in BIOST 561 Computational Skills for Biostatistics I and BIOST 562 Computational Skills for Biostatistics II. Taking these courses in the first year is recommended.
- BIOST 590 Biostatistical Consulting is a required course and MS Thesis students typically take it at the end of Year 1 or during Year 2. Enrollment is limited to 4-6 students per quarter so advance planning is necessary. Students may email email@example.com to sign up for a quarter.
- First Year (MS) Theory Exam follows spring quarter of Year 1.
- MS Thesis completed by the end of Year 2.